Quimper, in the heart of Cornwall in Brittany
contact
Contact us

A “Town of Art and History”

Quimper

The cathedral

The great works undertaken today by the Ministry of Culture consolidated structures of the building, stripped or replaced stones eroded by weather and parasites. Light in architecture made ​​by liming, frescoes restored vaults, stained glass found brightness, colors refreshed and revived murals, gilding furniture, have rejuvenated this work of distinguished and Flamboyant Gothic with its subsequent contributions.
Along the wall bordering the Odet, Quimper Cathedral erects its towers as a sacred guard and arrows as a sign in the sky. On the site of earlier buildings, its construction was decided in 1239. This is the time of the Gothic style, the building sites where Chartres, Reims and Amiens appear.

Cornwall Festival

Cornwall Festival concerns today about 4 generations of festival people. It is marked by its attachment to a region, a city, and most of all, a culture that has become, over the decades, a rendezvous! From 1923, year of its inception to the present day, the festival has become a symbol: its history and evolution are related to those of Brittany and the Breton people.
Small pedestrian streets

Quimper remained modest in size until the 19th century. The city center can be visited fairly quickly and got interest and charm, with cobbled streets and walks along the banks of the Odet. The historic center of the capital of Cornwall, prefecture of Finistère, is divided into two distinct neighborhoods: la "Ville au Duc" (around “Terre au Duc” site) and "Ville de l'Evêque" (around the cathedral). You will discover many half-timbered houses.

Docks along the « Odet » river

Three rivers, the “Steir”, the “Odet” and the “Jet” join in Quimper before forming an estuary that opens into the ocean at Benodet. L'Odet is by far the most important of these rivers. It is bordered by a pleasant shady walk. A dozen footbridges, beautifully flowering, cross it.

Henriot and earthenware

Quimper earthenware occurred since 1708 in the historic district of Locmaria, near the city center of Quimper. Production grew by bringing clay from Bordeaux and Rouen, benefiting also from the presence of two rivers, the Steir and the Odet and the surrounding forests. The important development of Quimper pottery in the 18th century to the 19th century lead to fierce competition between local manufacturers, both in terms of creativity than on the benches of the courts!